Thursday, December 3, 2009

Dream 1734

I had a dream last night that I woke up to find my right leg was amputated. Below my shin, there was nothing but a fresh, painless stump. I had to get to the restroom and couldn't find it, but nearby, there was a ruddy, hairy foot, complete with shin and shoe. I pressed it against the fresh stump. It felt odd. I tried moving my toes, and my big toe slightly wiggled. I stitched the foot on with a shoelace and hobbled out of my bedroom.

My parents were awake, but my mother was in a hurry to get to work and ignored my questions about where my leg had gone. My father was driving me around, and when I asked him what had happened, he seemed annoyed. I was asking too much too early.

"Well, when we looked in on you last night," he said gruffly, "we could tell you had blood poisoning in your leg. Took you to the doctor and they confirmed it. They had to amputate, at least until the poisoning went down. I knew you'd miss having it, so I left you my old leg."

"You couldn't have woken me up?" I asked, but he ignored me. He had bigger things on his mind at the moment.

He dropped me off near a town square where I was meant to see a doctor, but I wasn't sure why. I limped around for a while on my father's food and tried wiggling my toes. This time, it felt natural. My father's foot was beginning to become a part of my body.

I looked at my arms. They looked fine, except for the gaping holes in the middle of my forearms. When I looked inside, I saw muscles and tendons, and couldn't I see the telltale sign of rot? In fact, rotting holes weren't a good thing to have, were they? When I wandered inside the clinic, I thought of asking if it was possible that I had blood poisoning in my arms, but I wasn't sure of my doctor's name. My high school government teacher sat down and greeted me, and I left. I tried calling my mother's cell phone to ask her advice, but I couldn't dial her number. Every time I tried, my fingers fumbled.

2 comments:

  1. What a fun story! I bet you could turn it into a book or two? Publishers LOVE weird, attention-grabbing stuff like this.

    You should update more. I am also a struggling up-and-coming author and I've also found this blog to be an insightful refuge against the "too idealistic" and "too harsh" realities of the writing world. It is so freshing to find such a practical like-minded individual on the internet.

    P.S. I've always thought the word "stump" was gross. LOLOLOLOLOLOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi-
    I am brand new to blogging and have very little idea what I'm doing. I read somewhere that if I want my blog to be read, I need to read others'. Came across this one while I was trying to Google my own. You guys are so cute! Good luck with your book--I haven't had time to read your entire story, but I love your style-it was laugh out loud funny. Have faith-you'll be published.

    ReplyDelete