Monday, April 2, 2012

Exposition

To conclude five months of suspense: yes, the baby was born. She is fantastic.

Let's go back a decade.

In my late teens and early twenties, I wrote short stories. I posted them on my Livejournal, an unmatched medium for self-publishing in the early aughts. I collected the rest on various websites (all hosted by Emily Stallings!) Two sisters named Sarah and Rebecca Stephens read them, and they liked them enough to come and visit, so I married one of them.

But after a few years, I let most of my stories disappear from the internet. Partially because I was embarrassed by my early work, but mostly because I was lazy, and who would want to read any of it again? I'd started writing my first novel and decided I was done with short stories. Once I was in print, everyone could read my Real Books.

That was four years ago. Four years ago! I haven't even sent out a query letter in the past two years. Once I finish the second draft of mindtrip, I plan on submitting it to agents again, but I'm not as optimistic as I used to be. I might wind up sitting on yet a fourth unread novel.And isn't the whole point of writing to share creativity with the rest of the world?

Rebecca said: why not repost your old short stories on your blog? At least that way, people would be able to read your older stuff again. And if they like it, you could maybe post some newer stories. She's pretty smart.

So, starting this week, I'll be posting my short stories. The first will go up tomorrow. GET READY!

No comments:

Post a Comment